Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Moving Forward

I saw this post tonight and I thought it was really good so I wanted to share. I really liked the part of having a " thick skin" throughout this process and how we don't go into it that way. I know I didn't! It took me quite a while to learn to ignore people's insensitive comments or actions, it's something that really upset me at one point in time. So for those who aren't to that "thick skin" point yet, I hope this can offer some help to you and to those who are involved in your life. Sometimes we just need a little insight from someone else.

Things Infertile Couples Want Others to Know

I met with my doctor today and I really just want to take a minute to brag on her. I've been to a couple doctors throughout the past three years and I really have liked them. But, I often found they had a set plan for what to do as far as treatment, and that's not a bad thing, except my body doesn't always respond to their plan. I am thankful that Stephanie will take the time to listen to me and to value what I am thinking. She is willing to think outside the box when a lot of doctors won't and I appreciate that because that's often what I need! For those with thyroid issues (and others issues for that matter) I highly recommend Stephanie Mallett! I am a research girl, I love to read and learn, I've talked with several people who say it is very hard to find someone who will take the right approach to treating Hashimoto's and Stephanie is one of those few. I know it was God's hand putting me at her office because I didn't even know I needed to be tested and I am so thankful!

Today we talked about how I am still having hypothyroid symptoms even though my tsh is low. I forgot to take my medicine for a few days so I doubled up on it for about 3 days and I felt amazing...I had energy, wasn't forgetful, just good overall. She agreed that I do need to be on a higher dose of Armour so will be increasing that. I had read that if you stay on a dose too low for you too long it can cause your antibodies to rise, so we are hopeful this dose increase will lower my antibodies. I would appreciate prayers for that!

I also talked with her about some medicine I had read about in a pharmacist's book who actually has Hashimoto's. It's called low-dose naltrexone. It is actually suppose to calm the immune system and shut off the part of the body that causes autoimmunity, which means it would also lower my antibodies. Stephanie agreed that as long as I'm up for it we will give it a shot. I'm hopeful we will see some improvement with the combination of this and my thyroid medicine increase before I see the endocrinologist in June. I will have labs drawn in about 4 weeks so please pray!

I had a friend message me Sunday night to tell me that she had felt led to ask for prayer for Bobby and I at her church that night and that everyone had prayed for me. It really touched me to know God had layed us on her heart and to know so many people are praying. I really can't thank everyone enough. God does hear and prayer does work! It was so funny because that night at my church our pastor had preached about claiming a promise of God by faith and to not doubt it. I thought about the rough few days we had before that and I just felt so encouraged to just keep believing and moving forward.

I have to be honest, I had a bit of a pity party for myself Thursday and Friday. I'm not proud of it, but it's the truth. I can't tell you how many times I have started feeling sorry for myself and God will remind me of someone else's situation that is much worse. I really do have so much to be thankful for. I have seriously the best husband. Hands down. And I have a wonderful family and friends. It's easy to feel sorry for ourselves and to want to give up, but I just want to encourage you to keep moving forward. God does have a plan and like I've said before, He will give us answers in His time. I can think of times when I felt like giving up, when I had no answers or clear direction about what to do, times when it seemed hopeless, but you just have to be patient and keep going. That is part of infertility, to keep praying and moving forward even when times are tough.

I will never forget the time frame that I realized a lot of people we know had basically given up on the idea of us having kids. They didn't all come out and say those exact words (though some did) but they knew we were trying and wouldn't ask questions anymore, or they would subtly mention adoption and things like that. It was really hard to take. I remember telling Bobby that I felt like everyone had given up on that idea and it was disheartening to realize WE were to that point, the point of people thinking we wouldn't have kids. Something I never would have imagined. I didn't blame those people, if it hadn't been me I might have though the same thing! It's times like those you really have a decision to make, it doesn't matter what others are thinking. Sure, they are entitled to their opinion, but this wasn't something that we were ready to give up on, and it still isn't. God can do anything and I do believe He will give me children! So I just want to encourage you, don't lose hope.


1 comment:

  1. You are such a strong and encouraging woman. Such a great post, one that I can really relate to. And I LOVE the quote. Will be keeping you guys in my prayers XOXO

    ReplyDelete